Cherry Barb FishRegular price $2.99
Cherry Barb fish (scientific name, Puntius Titteya) is one of the best choices for your nano aquarium fish tanks. With the body reflecting the fiery red sheen coloration (mostly seen in males while that of the females tend to be golden brown and cream), this fish will absolutely be a highlight to your community tank. Not only that, these Barbs are known for their hardiness, adaptability, ease of breeding, peaceful yet outgoing disposition. With many advantages, they are ideal fish for both the beginners and experts. Their average size is around 2 inches in length and generally kept in schools of 6 or more. Thus, to make them feel comfortable, we recommend using a tank of 10-20 gallons in minimum. Nevertheless, the larger your tank is, the more pleasant your fish feel. Cherry Barbs thrive in tropical climates with little change in temperature (they have currently established in Mexico and Colombia). They also like heavily shaded, calm bodies of water. Hence, they would love to live in an aquarium sharing those similarities. Planted tanks, especially those that have floating plants and dark substrate are recommended. Since they are peaceful, you can put them with other fish that share this nature, such as tetras, bettas, kuhli loaches.
Please be careful about the ratio of males to females when keeping a group of Barbs as males tend to harass females during spawning. If that is the case, the females will get stressed which could lead to health complications.
What You Can Expect From This Fish:
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
- Impressive coloration, and very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Peaceful disposition
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 79° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.0-8.0
- KH: 3 - 18 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10-20 gallons. However, the bigger, the better
- Diet: Cherry Barb will accept high-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms. They also require a good amount of vegetable matter in its diet.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/ shoaling
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Sri Lanka, established in Mexico and Colombia recently
- Average adult size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 5 inch (1.3 cm)
See more details about the care guide for Cherry Barb here.