- In stock, ready to ship
- Inventory on the way
Slender, eel-like shape with compressed sides, covered with brown to burgundy color and bright orange stripes in-between, four pairs of barbels around its mouth, beady black eyes, very small fins behind the middle of the body and the anus, these characteristics belong to Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii/semicincta) or commonly known as Coolie Loach, freshwater fish native to Malaysia, Indonesia, and Borneo. Rivers and streams with low water flow are their favourite refuges. They prefer acidic environment which is similar to their natural habitat where such condition is normally caused by a great deal of dead plants or decaying plant matter. Kuhli Loaches are friendly, peaceful but shy and sensitive, especially when they are introduced to a new fish tank. Hence, an aquarium with lots of hiding decorations will make them feel more secure. It is strongly recommended keeping them in a group no less than six as it encourages them to be more active.
Kuhli Loaches are nocturnal so you cannot expect to see them around if the light is too strong. It is also worth noting that they are bottom dwellers, hence it is unwise to keep them together with other dwellers that can be potentially territorial and aggressive.
What You Can Expect From This Fish:
- Unique eel-like shape
- Completely peaceful
- Friend of plants
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 70° - 79° F (21° - 26° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0
- KH: 2 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons
- Diet: They are scavengers. That means they love sinking pellets. Flake foods, algae wafers, and bloodworms are also acceptable to them.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. Must be kept in groups of 6 or more.
- Origin: Indonesia, Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 3 - 4 inches (7.6 to 10 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)
See more details about the care guide for Kuhli Loach here.