Assassin Snail (Anentome helena)Regular price $3.29
Assassin Snails have a reputation of being able to help keep populations of some other freshwater snails in check. While keeping a small group of Assassin Snails in a tank may reduce the numbers of Snails.
An Assassin Snail should be affixed to hard surfaces like aquarium glass or decorations. An Assassin Snail has a cone shaped shell, similar to the shells of Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Rabbit Snails. Assassin Snail shells are gold color with a dark brown stripe wrapping around it from aperture to apex. Their shells should appear free from cracks, splits or other damage and their operculum should be visible on the top of their foot near their backside.
An Assassin Snail body and foot are a light cream color, with darker specks sprinkled throughout. Make sure the Assassin Snail has a complete Proboscis, as well as two tentacles, with an eye near the base on each. Be mindful that snails may be kept in display tanks with rougher fish that may take nips at them. So make sure the snail looks healthy, active and complete.
We ship younger Assassin Snails that are about 1/2 to 1 inch in length, and they will grow to about 2 inches long as adults. Having good substrate is important with Assassin Snails, as they love to burrow in it; we recommend sand. As with all snails, these are very sensitive to copper, so we advise monitoring copper levels if tap water is used to fill the tank.
- Obliterate pest snails
- Attractive striped coloration
- Safe with plants
- Does not bother most tankmates other than snails
- Temperature: 68° - 75° F (20° - 24° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons per snail
- Diet: Carnivorous. Voraciously eats other snails and will often eat dead fish. If there are not enough small snails in the aquarium, their diet can be supplemented with fish flakes, blood worms, and other meaty foods.
- Social behavior: Attacks other snails, but otherwise peaceful.
- Origin: Indonesia
- Average adult size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)